Sunday, February 22, 2009

After the recital...and back in NYC

So the recital, I felt, fared very well.  The overall experience was very enjoyable.  I'll admit, there were some nerves involved.  But all turned out for the good.  I have to say, I looked forward mostly to the final set in the program: the Mussorgsky Songs and Dances of Death.  It is such a powerful set of songs.  They all follow a generally morbid tone, of course, but each has Death tailored in quite intelligently.  Please write me if you'd like to know more about that.  Otherwise, please consult my website - www.quinnkelsey.com - for reviews from San Francisco.  They can be found on the Press page.  Fun times.

Back in New York City now.  Catching random auditions here and there.  Marjorie was commenting to a friend on the phone earlier in the day about how nice it is to be in town, instead of having to hop a plane and fly into New York for a one or two or three days.  It IS really nice to just be here for when things like auditions pop up.  Makes the plane ticket and all the months we're spending here so worth it.  Such a good investment.

Currently, I'm preparing for rehearsals of Wagner's Das Rheingold to begin.  I'll be on-contract to cover the role of Donner for the only two performances of that opera this season.  I thought there would be more shows, but apparently that's all they've got on the schedule.  It'll be a nice, short contract.  Two weeks of rehearsals and then the two performances will take place in the third week.  And I'm sure it'll breeze by quicker than I think.  It's one thing to actually perform; it's quite another to just sit and cover.

A very good friend and colleague, Christian Van Horn, has suggested I throw some other things up on this blog.  He wants me to comment on things like the restaurants I frequent.  I wonder if he knows me that well...that I enjoy good dining.  His website is - www.christianvanhorn.com - and I MORE than urge you to check on him.  He is currently living in Munich, Germany with his wife, mezzo-soprano Kellie Van Horn, and in the middle of a fest contract there.  HIS blog is NOTHING like mine; quite a thing of genius for the way he takes you along with his daily activities both on the stage and in Munich.  He takes some wonderful pictures.  I'm so excited for him at this point in his career.  I'm sure you'll enjoy following along on his blog as much as I have.

As always, I welcome any and all comments, questions, rants, complaints.  Whatever.  More pictures to come.

1 comment:

  1. Just read all of your blogging.What a great way to keep up with your everyday comings and goings.
    XOXOXO,
    Tutu

    ReplyDelete