Friday, February 13, 2009

Schwabacher Debut Recital

Been in San Francisco for a couple days now.  I've got a Schwabacher Debut Recital on Sunday, February 15th, at 5:30pm at Temple Emanu-EL on Lake and Arguello.  Tickets are $20 (a little stiff, I think, but that's just the struggling artist coming out).

Rehearsed with my accompanist, Peter Grunberg, in the hall at the temple today.  It's got great sound.  Peter thinks it's a little on the live side.  I agree, but it'll work.  We ran through the entire program in decent time, being that we'd never done any of the music together before.  I think we fared pretty well.  But Peter is one of those.  The kind of professional who just picks it up and runs with it.  DAMN good to sing that music again.  Especially the Russian.  The program is as follows:

1) Händel
 - Honor and Arms
 - Vouchsafe, oh Lord
 - I rage, I melt, I burn...O ruddier than the cherry.

2) Finzi - Let Us Garlands Bring
 - Come Away, Death
 - Fear No More the Heat o' the Sun
 - It Was a Lover and His Lass

3) Mahler - Lieder eines Fahrenden Gesellen

4) Mussorgsky - Songs and Dances of Death

I'm hoping to get a recording from the recital and will be sure to post my favorite(s) on the audio page of my website - www.quinnkelsey.com - once the tracks are available.

Until then, I'm enjoying just being back in San Francisco again.  ALWAYS a pleasure to be here.  I LOVE this town.  One of my favorites since I first visited in 2002 as a member of the Merola Program.  Hoping you are well and that spring comes quickly for those of you who are done with the cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment